John Li

When I got my Mustang back, the shop had installed the Maier Racing subframe connectors, z-brace, and panhard bar, and modified the OEM-type replacement exhaust I had gotten from National Parts Depot. However, clearances were tight, and in order to fit everything, the rear end of the car had to be lowered with a 1″ block in order to provide clearance for the driveshaft, and the exhaust had no clearance in several places, making contact with the z-brace.

After calling Maier Racing, I was informed that, yes, the car needed to be lowered about an inch in order to use the z-brace on the car. I suppose this is as good a time as any to go ahead and lower the car a bit and stiffen up the suspension some, with a 1″ drop all around and doing the Shelby drop for the front upper A-arm, which also nets me a better camber curve for the front wheels.

In the meantime, though, I had to do something about all of the clanking about when driving the car on the street. I finally decided that the easiest solution would be to simply remove the z-brace.

So that’s what I did tonight. Kinda sucks to spend money on a part, then more money on having it welded in, only to remove it two days after getting the car back. But I’ve got just two and a half weeks before the car leaves for Seattle, so simple and quick fixes are the name of the game now.

I’ll drive to work tomorrow and see if things have improved. I can’t imagine that they haven’t. Next up: fixing all of the electrical gremlins that have suddenly popped up on the car after the turn signal switch was replaced…

Hooray! I’m getting my Mustang back today! Drove it for the first time in about two years. There’s still plenty of work to be done, though…

First day back at work after returning from China. Long day and not many cars left in the lot at the end of today, but that’s okay. One thing I’m happy about is that I’m driving again — and no longer and subject to a world where drivers are in fourth gear by the time they hit 20 mph…

I ran the Fiesta ST at a local autocross event a month ago when it started overheating again in 67 degree weather. Immediately after the event, I called Demmer Lincoln and asked to schedule a time for them to look at my car, as their engine tech, Jessica, is apparently the tech for all things Ford hot hatch. She was swamped with work, so the service writer told me to come in next week.

Two weeks ago, I proceeded to drop the Fiesta ST off at the service department. Then… nothing. The car waited and waited in the service queue while several other cars in front of it were undergoing engine replacements or engine work.

Finally, there was a break in the action, and by that, I mean “the service tech had to wait on parts for all of the cars she was working on.” So the Fiesta ST finally rolled into the shop and got a diagnosis.

And the diagnosis is… a bad thermostat. Thermostat replaced, and the car was ready to be picked up. The car spent two weeks sitting outside, only to be buttoned up in an afternoon once it got into the shop.

I do wonder if this thermostat really is the solution to the problem. I suppose I’ll find out at the next autocross. Or perhaps I’ll not bother waiting to find out and just go ahead and replace the car with something else…

Finally got around to installing the new rear bumper cover on the Miata, replacing the cracked red original bumper that got damaged when the previous owner’s codriver accidentally put the car backwards into a jersey barrier. (BFG Rivals + standing water on the highway = lots of opposite lock to save the car from spinning.)

All of the body panels on the car that are plastic are now silver, and everything that is metal is still red. I’ve got several cans of silver plastidip and will try to integrate the silver with the red.

I also replaced all of the trunk plastics with pieces that haven’t been scratched to hell and back from toolboxes and jacks and jack stands rattling around in the trunk. Fresh trunk plastics don’t make the car go any faster, but I’m doing my best to restore the car from “absolute hooptie” to “hooptie.”

Progress on the Mustang continues. Part of the exhaust has been fabbed. Next step is the installation of the panhard bar and then the routing of the exhaust through the panhard bar. And, of course, to top it all off, subframe connectors. I should be getting the car back sometime next week…

Time to replace the rear bumper cover and the cracked rear tail light. I’ve never taken the rear bumper cover off before, so this is a new view for me…

I stopped by Shamrock to see how things were going on the Mustang. Outside the shop was this wonderful example of the first generation Ford Galaxie, in a sweet two tone color combination of pink and rose. I like it.

Once again, I’m at the Detroit Grand Prix with DRSCCA. I wasn’t as productive shooting photos as I was last year, but I think I got a few decent shots of SCCA corner workers. Today is Sunday, however, and I’m just enjoying myself. I’m sitting here waiting for the Sunday Indy Car race to start, where the cars are lining up in grid behind pace car #2, after pace car #1 spun itself into the wall after Corner 2…

I have arrived at CMP and swapped the track tires and pads on the car. This will be an interesting weekend — I have never driven this track before, and it’s supposed to rain all weekend long. My primary goal is not to cripple the car here…